How to know % of read file in cat?

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sat Mar 9 10:11:36 UTC 2013

El día Saturday, March 09, 2013 a las 10:54:00AM +0100, Eduardo Morras escribió:

> Hello,
>
> I use cat to read a file and pass it to another app, the command is this:
>
> camibar% cat file.git | fossil import --git file.fossil
>
> It takes a lot of time, file.git is 12GB, and i want to know if there's some 'magic' trick can I use to show me how many bytes or the % of the file.git cat sent to the other app.
>
> Maybe cat isn't the correct tool?

Yes, in your case cat(1) is superflues (see also the Useless Use of Cat
Award) because the correct way would be:

camibar% fossil import --git file.fossil < file.git

It depends of the tool 'fossil' if you can monitor somehow the progress,
for example if it writes a log or with accounting tools how many bytes
have been read, etc.

HIH

	matthias

--