Reccording from a webcam

Olivier Nicole Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Thu Mar 7 11:20:05 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have a machine running FreeBSD 6.4. I can hardly upgrade it because
it is more or less an embeded system.

Until recently I was reccording video through a video graber card
(brooktree I think), with mencoder, but the card died.

The easiest way would be to use a USB camera; I plugged one in and it
came as /dev/ugen0.

When I try to use mplayer, it tells me that the driver v4l2 does not
exist, nor v4l.

Current version of mplayer/mencoder is 1.0rc2-3.4.6, I tried to
compile the latest version, but I have issue with the Makefile in the
ports.

So the question is, what else could I use to record a video (command
line).

Best regards,

Olivier