Confused by restore(8) man page example

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Mon Mar 4 19:53:32 UTC 2013

In message <63618304-837E-4B76-8157-D99C744AC72F at wolfhut.org>,
Ben Cottrell <tamino at wolfhut.org> wrote:

>I guess the same text in the man page could be read several
>different ways! The way I read it (which may or may not be
>correct) is that the example given is an example of how to
>use it *correctly*. It sounds to me like it's warning against
>deviating too far from the steps given in the example.
>
>I can see as how the text might allow other interpretations,
>though!

Thanks for the response Ben.

As others have pointed out, it would probably be less confusing
if the material starting with "An example:" were in a different
paragraph.  As the text stands now, first we have a sentence that
gives a frightening warning about possible mangling of a disk/partition
if restore -r is not used correctly, and then immediately following
that is "An example:" with an example of _correct_ usage.

I hope and trust that folks can understand my earlier befuddlement.

Anyway, I have just now filed a PR suggesting a new paragraph at the
appropriate point in the man page.

Thanks to all who responded.

Regards,
rfg