rm -R

Joshua Isom jrisom at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 03:18:57 UTC 2013

On 3/2/2013 8:27 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 02, 2013 at 07:43:50PM -0600, Joshua Isom wrote:
>> On 3/2/2013 2:43 PM, David Tilbrook wrote:
>>> The problem (and its solution) have been
>>> raised for at least 39 years.
>>
>> But google and other search engines treats words([A-Za-z0-9])
>> starting with - as meaning exclude results with this, even when
>> obvious it's about unix commands.  It can be rather annoying when
>> searching for help.
>

> 	sorry to be so dense; can you give me a few concrete examples? ya
> 	lost me!
>
> 	tx....

Start with basics, http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=rm+-rf now find something
relevant even though `rm -rf` is so common under unix.  Oddly, `rm -S`
gives the wikipedia webpage first.  It doesn't mention anything about --
or using ./ to delete files.  The man page lists is, so the "true"
documentation is sound, but if you're looking on the internet you have
to know how to search.