Installing Matlab

Tijl Coosemans tijl at coosemans.org
Fri Mar 1 20:28:34 UTC 2013

On 01-03-2013 21:07, Vijay Kaul wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:40 AM, Tijl Coosemans <tijl at coosemans.org> wrote:

>>> Try creating this link:
>>>
>>> ln -s ../usr/bin/expr /compat/linux/bin/expr
>>>
>>> Without this link Linux scripts run the FreeBSD expr which isn't fully
>>> compatible.
>>
>> And also, the Linux compatibility layer is 32bit so you need the x86
>> version of Matlab.
>>

> Oh, I didn't realize that Linux on FBSD was 32 bit. Thanks for
> pointing that out. BTW, mathworks has stopped releasing new 32-bit
> versions of matlab for linux, but you can still get R2012a for 32-bit
> linux.
>
> Regarding the linking advice.... I have a /bin/expr and
> /compat/linux/usr/bin/expr. My naivety is showing, but if I did
>
> ~> ln -s /usr/bin/expr /compat/linux/usr/bin/expr

That's not the same command as above.

> don't I also need to edit my path so that the script would find my
> link before finding the built-in FBSD command? Currently, my path
> begins: /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:
> .... So I think the script would still use '/bin/expr'.

Under Linux compat the order becomes:

1: /compat/linux/sbin/expr
2: /sbin/expr
3: /compat/linux/bin/expr       <- You need to create this as a link to 7
4: /bin/expr                    <- FreeBSD expr
5: /compat/linux/usr/sbin/expr
6: /usr/sbin/expr
7: /compat/linux/usr/bin/expr   <- Linux expr
8: /usr/bin/expr