A very 'trivial' question about /root

ASV asv at inhio.eu
Thu Jun 27 19:39:23 UTC 2013

Thanks for your reply Polytropon,

I'm using FreeBSD since few years already and I'm kind of aware of the
"dynamics" related to permissions, many of them are common to many
Unices.
I agree that the installer doesn't put anything secret but as a home dir
for the root user it's highly likely that something not intended to be
publicly readable will end up there soon after the installation.
Which IMHO it's true also for any other user homedir which gets created
by default using a pretty relaxed umask 022, but that seems to be the
default on probably any other UNIX like system I've put my hands on
AFAIR.

Don't get me wrong, since I use FreeBSD I'm just in love with it. Mine
is just a concern about these permission defaults which look to me a bit
too relaxed and cannot find yet a reason why not to restrict it.
After all I believe having good default settings may make the difference
in some circumstances and/or save time.