logging during loader

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jun 27 04:00:27 UTC 2013

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 23:40:07 -0400, Robert Huff wrote:

> Polytropon writes:
>
> >  > 	During the processing of loader.conf, something gets printed
> >  > that suggests all is not right.  However, this is a sufficiently
> >  > modern machine it goes by too fast to read exactly what.
> >  > 	It is my understanding that file gets read before the system
> >  > logging facilities are operational, and possibly before things like
> >  > ^S/^Q work on the terminal.
> >  > 	Is there a way to store the results of that phase of boot-up?
> >
> >  Being on the 1st virtual terminal in text mode (ttyv0) which
> >  also acts as the console device, press the "Scroll Lock"
> >  key and use the vertical arrow keys and page scrolling keys
> >  to get to the top of the log.
>
> 	This does not work for me.  Specifically, pushing [Scroll Lock]
> causes the appropriate light to go on, but output continues to flow.

This doesn't look normal. Maybe kernel messages have "precedence"
and can appear while regular output is halted? The cursor block
should disappear (and the LED should light up). When the console
TTY (ttyv0) does not show "any more action", is scrolling back
possible then?

I've tried it on my home 8.2 system. Normal output is halted.
I seem to remember that kernel messages "unlock" Scroll Lock...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany