install firefox without X

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Tue Jun 18 18:01:44 UTC 2013

On Jun 18, 2013, at 6:41 AM, Pol Hallen wrote:

> Hi all :-)
>
> I need use -X ssh and use firefox on remote machine:
>
> ssh -X -l user xxx host
>
> Is there a way to install firefox without X? or less ports possible

I indeed run Firefox using the above method from my servers (which aren't running X) but X is still installed.

It *should* be able to work in theory (I use xdialog from ports on machines that don't have X installed; only xdialog and xauth).

*** warning *** will uninstall X11 software *** warning ***

pkg_delete -x xorg

Maybe Firefox will still run (communicating with the X server running on the local side of your ssh client), or maybe it will balk incessantly about something.

I do know however, that you'll need xauth installed regardless.
--
Devin