FreeBSD slice/partiton setup question

Istvan Gabor suseuser04 at lajt.hu
Tue Jun 18 17:44:28 UTC 2013

Hello:

I have a question regarding FreeBSD slices/partitions.

I have a disk with linux partitions with the following layout:

/dev/sda1 /
/dev/sda2 /home
/dev/sda3 /usr/local
/dev/sda5 swap
/dev/sda6 /home/user1
/dev/sda7 /home/user2
etc.

sda1, sda2, and sda3 are primary partitions, sda5 and above are logical partitions on an extended partition.

I would like to have a similar setup with FreeBSD.
The goal is that the / root, /home, /usr/local and /home/user1 etc. filesystems should be on independent slices/partitions so that I could mount them independently from linux.

How can I do this in FreeBSD?
Can I have slices with only one partition occupying the whole slice?

Can I do something like the following:

/dev/ad0s1a /
/dev/ad0s2e /home
/dev/ad0s3e /usr/local
/dev/ad0s5b swap
/dev/ad0s6e /home/user1
/dev/ad0s7e /home/user2
etc.

where the partitions (a, e, b) occupy the whole slice where they reside on?

Thanks,

Istvan