Panic/reboot while trying to install 9.1 on a HP Proliant DL580G5

Ewald Jenisch a at jenisch.at
Fri Jun 14 14:04:36 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 10:41:01AM +0930, Shane Ambler wrote:
> Just guessing from what I see -
>
> The panic is "No usable event timer found!"
>

> .

Hi Shane,

Thanks much for the hints you sent me. Since I'm pretty swamped with
work it took me a couple of days before I could go on with my tests.

> Can you boot into single user mode?

Nope - freezes at the exact same point during boot.

> what does sysctl kern.eventtimer.choice show?

Well - nothing to be honest:
"variable 'kern.eventtimer.choice' not found"

> Have you tried kern.eventtimer.periodic=0 or other values for
> kern.eventtimer.timer?

With "kern.eventtimer.periodic=0" - same result.

What other values would be valid for "kern.eventtimer.timer"?

> Is the panic the same without the loader adjustments?

Yes, absolutely the same.

> Does it boot 8.3 ?

Haven't tried this, since I need to go to 9.1 on this system
anyway. Besides that the server is in a remote DC so changing disks is
not an easy thing to do.

-ewald