mini express cards supported by freebsd

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Jun 12 13:26:13 UTC 2013

On Fri, 7 Jun 2013, david coder wrote:

> i need a mini express wifi card for a thinkpad laptop.  does anybody know of
> one that is supported by freebsd?  the aironet card i have is too fat.

Thinkpads have a BIOS blacklist that only allows approved cards to be
used.  The approved cards likely vary significantly depending on the
Thinkpad model.  The Lenovo web site has information on which cards are
available for each model.  Some people patch the BIOS to prevent the
test and allow other cards.

As far as FreeBSD is concerned, I've had the best experience with
Atheros cards.  There is a list of cards here:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/dev/ath_hal%284%29/HardwareSupport

There are two sizes for mini PCIE cards, and two or three antenna
connectors, so it's important to match the existing card.