Bourne shell "if" syntax

dteske at freebsd.org dteske at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 10 19:20:28 UTC 2013

and hence why you shouldn't do that.

Instead do this:

if [ "$PTR" = "" ]

Which [potentially] evaluates to:

if [ "" = "" ]

> Which throws an error.  The character sentinel avoids this without having to
> use -z, which as I said, I've had problems with not being too portable across
> older machinery.

Which again, is because you're not double-quoting your parameter.

The sentinel is not required if you double-quote your parameter (which you were
already doing in your example).

For example (with sentinel):

if [ _"$PTR" == (sic) _ ] ; then

Since you've already double-quoted the parameter, I'm letting you know that the
sentinel is unnecessary.
--
Devin