Per-IP Bandwidth Monitoring

Bernt Hansson bah at bananmonarki.se
Sun Jun 9 08:28:44 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-09 04:32, Kenta Suzumoto wrote:
> Hello. I'm running a FreeBSD machine with 5 IP addresses, each of them attached to a specific jail. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to monitor the bandwidth usage of each of them individually. Upon googling, I ran into a lot of suggestions like bandwidthd. I gave it a try and it seemed very broken and basically didn't work at all. I'm basically looking for a "vnstat that works per IP instead of per interface" kind of thing. jnettop wasn't what I was looking for. It doesn't have to make pretty graphs(but that's nice too), just human-readable text is fine. Anyone have a recommendation?
>
> Some links I came across that were unhelpful:
> http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/how-to-measure-bandwidth-per-jail-td5797422.html
>
> http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?&topic=32256.0
>
> http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=1199
>
> Thanks

IPFW with pipes. No graphs.

man ipfw

TRAFFIC SHAPER CONFIGURATION
      The ipfw pipe, queue and sched commands are used to configure the
traffic
      shaper and packet scheduler.  See the TRAFFIC SHAPER (DUMMYNET)
      CONFIGURATION Section below for details.

      If the world and the kernel get out of sync the ipfw ABI may
break, pre-
      venting you from being able to add any rules.  This can adversely
effect
      the booting process.  You can use ipfw disable firewall to temporarily
      disable the firewall to regain access to the network, allowing you
to fix
      the problem.