why is ports web page so far out of date

Waitman Gobble gobble.wa at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 06:29:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM, Shane Ambler <FreeBSD at shaneware.biz> wrote:
> On 05/06/2013 17:00, Waitman Gobble wrote:
>
>> If you must have a web based version, another option is DIY roll your
>> own ports index based on your own local ports tree. At least you can
>> set it up how you want.
>>
>> a simple quick-together script running on my computer:
>> https://dx.burplex.com/FreeBSD-ports/index.php
>>
>> there's a github link at the bottom of the page you can hack on if you
>> wanna.
>>
>> cool thing is you can easily cross-reference all the corresponding
>> gnats PR files in your mailbox to the generated port page, i'll add
>> that bit tomorrow.
>

> That looks useful. One thing I would think of adding is a search box.
>
> I would have thought of breaking the lists into pages but am surprised at
> how fast the longer pages are generated.
>
> One port that it has an issue with is devel/pear-HTML_Select_Common the
> <select> in the pkg-desc consumes all the following ports info. So you
> probably want to escape or translate "<" ">" into < >

hi,

search box would probably be cool! :) I'll get on it.

and yes, it /totally/ needed to broken up into pages. I think that's
working now.

Ok, I agree with you on the HTML entities, it's a done deal.. There
are some updates to post. I have GNATS linked up. I thought I might
have to cache a bunch of stuff considering
> du -h ports
1.5G ports
just the ports-related GNATS stuff is 1.5G. and growing every day. but
it's live code, seems perky enough. It might be good to add in the
mailing list stuff too. maybe 10x that 1.5G though, guessing.?

 I'm thinking about trying to somehow cross-reference the Makefiles to
the Porter's Handbook and maybe the .mk files. And maybe the other way
around too. It's like a bag of examples.

--
Waitman Gobble
San Jose California USA