Creating freebsd usb boot

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Jul 25 17:11:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 12:01:10 +0300, Erhan Gulsen <erhangulsen28 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am Erhan,i have a problem,i read your all definition but i can not
> create usb boot FreeBSD,i have a ubuntu 12.04 operating system.I want to
> create it with FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso but when i try
> this,it shows ''boot error''.Can you help me?

This is a CD-ROM image.  Please try again using the 'memstick' image
instead, whicih should be available in the same place you for the ISO
image for the CD-based installation and have a name like this:

    FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img

This should be bootable if you copy it directly to a USB stick with at
least 733 MB of disk space.  You can use plain dd(1) from your Ubuntu
installation to do that:

    sudo dd if=FreeBSD-9.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img of=/dev/sdc

Just replace /dev/sdc with the name of your USB stick's device.