TRIM and changing mount options

aurfalien aurfalien at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 22:55:01 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've some what blindly followed a how to on installing FreeBSD 9.1 on a ZFS mirror.

My typing is horrid so I simply ssh'd to a live CD env and pasted line by line as per the how to found here;

http://wp.strahlert.net/wordpress/zfs-2/installing-freebsd-9-1-using-root-on-zfs-and-gpt-disks/

All is well, no issues with replacing disks, testing failures etc...

But seeing that my system drives are SSDs, I thought to perhaps add noatime, etc... to avoid slow downs common in excessive SSD usage.

However my fstab is only mounting swap partitions and I have no idea how my file system is being mounted :)

Also, I would like to use tunefs in finding if I have TRIM enabled as I did load it via boot.conf

I kinda feel like I'm willy nilly adding load lines w/o seeing if I actually have the TRIM patch installed :)

At any rate, could some one;

a) Explain how I am loading my file system as I'm used to fstab?
b) How to run tunefs on my zroot
c) How to determine if I actually have the needed TRIM support in my kernel

I'm running 9.1 with the latest updates via freebsd-update (fetch/install).

Thanks in advance,

-airf

"I know enough to kill a system"