HOWTO monitor changes in installed packages within jails?

Michael Grimm trashcan at odo.in-berlin.de
Sat Jul 20 16:34:45 UTC 2013

On 20.07.2013, at 14:53, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk> wrote:
> On 20/07/2013 12:09, Michael Grimm wrote:

>> I did migrate to pkgng some month ago, and ever since I am curious
>> how to monitor changes in installed packages within jails. I am
>> looking for a functionality/port that works like 490.status-
>> pkg-changes for my host.
>>
>> Question: is there any functionality within the periodic system or a
>> port that I might have missed to find?
>
> You can't just run 490.status-pkg-changes directly in your jail?

Yes, I can ;-)

But! I do have a lot of service jails running at my host, thus I would like to omit modifying every jail's /etc/periodic.conf adding:

| daily_status_pkg_changes_enable="YES"    # Show package changes
| pkg_info="pkg info"                      # Use this program

> Try this patch:

Thanks for that approach, namely adding "pkg -j jailname info" for every jail running. Due to my amount of jails I might need to add some looping over "jls -N" output instead of adding a lot of $daily_status_pkg_changes_flags.

I was hoping that I could omit programming that functionality myself, but I might need to do so.

Thanks for your input and with kind regards,
Michael