Fresh installation 9.1

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Fri Jul 19 20:33:42 UTC 2013

> On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 18:13:07 +0530, hrkesh sahu wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > after using freebsd for  10 to 20 mins, Key board is getting locked.

Apart from Polytopon's good questions & observations,
such as "Is that inside X?"

I'd also add 1 more question: Is that
	A) a PS2 [or older] direct keyboard ?

	eg on 8.1 dmesg:
	kbd1 at kbdmux0
	atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x60,0x64 irq 1 on acpi0
	atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0

	eg on 9.1 dmesg
	kbd: new array size 4
	kbd1 at kbdmux0
	atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x60,0x64 irq 1 on acpi0
	atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
	atkbd: the current kbd controller command byte 0067
	atkbd: keyboard ID 0x41ab (2)
	kbd0 at atkbd0
	kbd0: atkbd0, AT 101/102 (2), config:0x0, flags:0x3d0000

	eg on 9.1 devinfo
    	atkbdc0
      	 atkbd0

	Or
	B) a PS2 keyboard on a USB converter ?

	eg on 9.1 dmesg
	ugen1.2: <Semi Tech> at usbus1
	ukbd0: <HID Keyboard> on usbus1
	kbd2 at ukbd0
	kbd2: ukbd0, generic (0), config:0x0, flags:0x3d0000

	eg on 9.1 devinfo
        uhci1
          usbus1
            uhub1
              ukbd0

Just yesterday I had a case (B) lock up on me on 8.2-Release it
needed a reboot (or power off unplug) to reset it.  It might or not
even be a FreeBSD problem & has an easy hardware solution,

Hrkesh Sahu you dont say how many keyboards you tried, or on how
many if any other op systems, You know keyboards use wildly different
amounts of mA ?  Could be your's is greedy & near the limit ?  (ive
had some PCs dont like some keyboards) was room was hotter than
normal (I had 2/3 pieces of hardware dies in hot spell here lately)

Might be software or harsdware, we dont know.

Hrkesh Sahu & all others asking free advice should realise: The
more you tell readers on a self help list, the more we readers can
deduce, but we can't, don't & not interested to mind read ;-) & The
less people tell us, the less likley readers are to bother to guess
or ask questions to deduce answers.

We're not paid support, we require people to work to help us
help them.  eg telling us what interesting bits of dmesg might show,
which kernel you ran, if modified or generic, & what /var/log/messages
shows etc (which you can see via ssh to host from another PC, or
after reboot, so you dont need keyboard to see why keyboard has
failed, no Catch 22 ;-)

What extras you might have installed later ?  eg on an 8.2 I installed
in /boot/loader.conf   vboxdrv_load=YES  & /etc/rc.conf
vboxnet_enable="YES" & that laptop worked just fine from remote,
again just yesterday I neededto use acual keyboard (in X) & noted
respons was abysmal, maybe 5 or 10 seconds to echo.

Theres so much you havent told us, we really dont know what youve
done that may have been the problem.

Even a beginner should ask "what commands
should I do to produce more diagnostics to help you help me ?"
Those that don't try hard to help us don't tend to get so much help.
Not a particular personal criticism, just really obvious !

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".