OT: rsync on Mac OSX

Paul Kraus paul at kraus-haus.org
Thu Jul 18 22:34:03 UTC 2013

On Jul 12, 2013, at 2:57 PM, kpneal at pobox.com wrote:

> I thought MacOS X's rsync did handle resource forks if you gave it the
> proper option. The resource fork is reported by rsync in the usual
> convention of having "._" prefixed to the filename.

My understanding was that the files named ._<foo> were plain files that included the metadata that makes up the resource fork. The ._ file is not really the resource fork, but a workaround for filesystems that do not support resource forks.

As such, they would be copied by rsync just fine.

Now as to the Mac OS X rsync understanding resource forks, that I cannot speak to, but it should be easy to test. Copy a directory from an HFS+ volume to a non-Mac OS X volume (NFS for example) using rsync and see if it creates the ._ files to go with the data.

--
Paul Kraus
Deputy Technical Director, LoneStarCon 3