ab failing with Operation not permitted

Chris Smith chris at pointyhat.org.uk
Fri Jul 12 21:23:53 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm having some trouble with ab shipped with apache22 from 9.1 binary
packages. I am currently running a trial to replace our Debian kit with
FreeBSD as we've had numerous problems. It will be hosting a few web apps,
postfix, dovecot virtual, postgres, SVN etc. I'm a little rusty as I'm
coming back to FreeBSD from a long holiday in Linux-land since FreeBSD
4.4 :)

Anyway, ab is failing as follows:

# ab -n 10000 -c 50 http://hostname/
...usual junk scrolls past....
Completed 4000 requests

Test aborted after 10 failures

apr_socket_connect(): Operation not permitted (1)
Total of 4531 requests completed
#

I suspect this is a sysctl that needs poking somewhere or a limit
somewhere. Any help appreciated on this one.

--
Chris Smith
http://pointyhat.org.uk/