OT: rsync on Mac OSX

Chris Maness chris at chrismaness.com
Fri Jul 12 17:49:08 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Chris Maness <chris at chrismaness.com> wrote:

>> Since you are going to wait anyway, why don't you try peeking at some of
>> the file checksums while this is running?
>>
>> MacOS X comes with a shasum utility which implements SHA-256 checksums,
>> so you should be able to look at a few random samples of these files,
>> e.g. by running on the source disk:
>>
>>     shasum -a 256 source_directory/file/path/to/some/file.ext
>>
>>     shasum -a 256 copied_directory/file/path/to/some/file.ext
>>
>> If these are the same, then the applications look elsewhere, e.g. in the
>> 'hidden' .DS_Store stuff some MacOS directories contain.
>>
>> But if the checksums are different, well, then there's your problem.

Checksums are the same.  All other files still work however the HUGE
rendered Final Cut Pro output, so I guess it is something in .DS_Store.
 Last time I just gave up and recopied everything by a simple cut and paste
and that solved the problem.  I made a small change on the project today,
and I don't want to have to copy the WHOLE thing again just for a small
delta.  I already synced the directories, but the new rendered files are
still un-openable in any application even though the checksums match.
 Really weird.  However, the project will still open and work on FCP.  Just
the 12Gb rendered movie files will not play on anything even FCP.  If I
delete .DS_Store will the system regenerate it with the appropriate file
associations?

I know this is a little off topic, but Mac OSX is based on BSD.  You guys
are also the smartest around :D

Thanks,
Chris Maness