jls usage

Frank Leonhardt frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Fri Jul 12 09:35:42 UTC 2013

On 12/07/2013 02:33, Teske, Devin wrote:
> On Jul 11, 2013, at 6:19 PM, Fbsd8 wrote:
>
>> In a .sh script I'm trying to get the jid for a single jail using this code
>>
>> jid=`jls -j jailname | cut -f 1- | awk '{print $1}'`
>>
> Looks a little over complicated... why not just..
>
> jls -j jailname jid

I've never got the -j option to work on jail names, only jail IDs. I've
tried using the actual jail name, and the hostname to be sure - nothing
- and on checking (jls -v) I'm somehow ending up with the Name being the
same as the ID. I just put this down to a quirk/bug (it's there in
8.2-9) but it sounds like it's not an issue for anyone else. I'm
defining them in rc.conf:

jail_enable="yes"
jail_list="one two three"

jail_agnet_rootdir="/usr/jail/one"
jail_agnet_hostname="one.mydomain.com"
jail_agnet_ip="123.123.123.123"
jail_agnet_devfs_enable="yes"
jail_agnet_devfs_ruleset="devfsrules_jail"

etc...

jls -v produces:

   JID  Hostname                      Path
         Name                          State
         CPUSetID
         IP Address(es)
      1  one.mydomain.com          /usr/jail/one
         1                             ACTIVE
         2
         123.123.123.123

Everything works just fine, and has done for years, except jls -j
jailname. It's zero-impact on me as it's no problem referring to them by
number (which doesn't change) but if anyone could tell me what I'm doing
wrong I'd be very interested to know. Or at least it'd be good to know
I'm not the only one with the problem.

Thanks, Frank.