Wireless Networking

Walter Hurry walterhurry at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 16:14:05 UTC 2013

9.1-RELEASE-p4 on amd64. This is a laptop with an Atheros 9280 wireless
chip in a domestic setting with a single router and a cable "modem".

I have never had to use wireless before, but am now in another room. I
have followed the handbook, and it seems to be working well. One question
though: 'ifconfig -a' shows *two* entries apparently relating to
wireless: ath0 and wlan0. The wlan0 one shows the IP address (fixed, not
DHCP), netmask, ssid and so forth, but the ath0 entry shows only:

ath0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 2290
	ether 0c:ee:e6:80:ed:52
	nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g
	status: associated

Is this how it should be?