X client without X server

Teske, Devin Devin.Teske at fisglobal.com
Wed Jul 3 15:52:40 UTC 2013

On Jul 2, 2013, at 8:55 PM, Olivier Nicole wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to install an X client without automatically install an
> X server?
>
> On all my systems, I throw xterm and emacs, as the primary tools I use
> for management, but the display is always remote, I never, ever, run X
> on the machine, but still it install X server, fonts and a lot of
> useless junk like xcalc.

If you never run emacs in X11 mode, but instead run emacs within the XTerm, might I suggest that you look into the "emacs-nox11" package (/usr/ports/editors/emacs-nox11).

This should cut down on the number of dependencies significantly, but if you run emacs directly as an X11 program, then "emacs-nox11" will not provide that functionality -- so this suggestion is [again] only helpful if you're used to just running emacs in the XTerm.

On the vim side of things, I tend to shoot for "vim-lite" instead of "vim". Same reason, fewer dependencies.

> Is there a way to install xterm and only the libraries that are needed
> to run xterm?

You could always go the binary package route.

force-install the binary package, then do an "ldd" on xterm to find out what's missing. Then compare what's missing to the packing-list's @pkgdep entries (/var/db/pkg/xterm*/+CONTENTS for non-pkgng systems; for pkgng systems, [guessing] pkg info -dx xterm)
--
Devin