X client without X server

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bris.ac.uk
Wed Jul 3 10:47:46 UTC 2013

	Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 10:55:48 +0700 (ICT)
	From: Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th>
	To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
	Subject: X client without X server

	Hi,

	Is there a way to install an X client without automatically install an
	X server?

	On all my systems, I throw xterm and emacs, as the primary tools I use
	for management, but the display is always remote, I never, ever, run X
	on the machine, but still it install X server, fonts and a lot of
	useless junk like xcalc.

	Is there a way to install xterm and only the libraries that are needed
	to run xterm?

	TIA,

	Olivier

I've been doing this for years.
What's the problem?

Just install xterm, or whatever you need.
All the necessary libs will be pulled in, e.g.:

$ pkg info -xd xterm
xterm-293:
        xproto-7.0.24
        xextproto-7.2.1
        renderproto-0.11.1
        printproto-1.0.5
        libxcb-1.9.1
        libXrender-0.9.8
        libXpm-3.5.10
        libXp-1.0.2,1
        libXext-1.3.2,1
        libXdmcp-1.1.1
        libXau-1.0.8
        libX11-1.6.0,1
        libSM-1.2.1,1
        libICE-1.0.8,1
        kbproto-1.0.6
        libXt-1.1.4,1
        libXmu-1.1.1,1
        libXaw-1.0.11,2
        libXft-2.3.1
        fontconfig-2.9.0,1
        expat-2.0.1_2
        freetype2-2.4.12_1
        pkgconf-0.9.2_1
        pcre-8.33
        libpthread-stubs-0.3_3

Obviously xterm does not depend on xorg-server.

Anton