OT: rsync on Mac OSX

Chris Maness chris at chrismaness.com
Tue Jul 2 21:48:04 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Giorgos Keramidas
<keramida at ceid.upatras.gr>wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 13:35:00 -0700, Chris Maness <chris at chrismaness.com>
> wrote:
> > I have been using rsync with Mac OSX with no issues until today.  I
> > generally use it instead of the copy command because if the copy fails
> > on large files, I can pick up where I left off.  I have backed up
> > entire Final Cut Pro projects this way with no issues.  However, I
> > recently synced a drive to a folder in another drive, and the OS does
> > not recognize the final rendered files as quicktime files.  The files
> > work fine in the parent drive.  I have no idea what might be going on.
> > I used the flags: rsync -vaur like I always do.  Any suggestions?
>
> This is a FreeBSD list, so any issues rsync may have with MacOS X are
> not very relevant to what FreeBSD is doing or would do.  Having said
> that though, can you try without the -u option?  Maybe modification
> times are newer on the target drive and rsync skips everything.
>
> You should probably also enable --stats and have a look at the final
> report of rsync, to see if it actually sync'ed any files, or skipped all
> of them because of mtime checks.

Yep, the files copied, and I used "touch" to force them to recopy.
 However, the files that were copied are not recognizable by their native
aps.  Just big junk files.  I have no clue what happened.  I am just
copying everything by a simple cut and paste this time.  However, this
directory is HUGE and I won't know until about 18 hours from now.

Thanks,
Chris Maness