sleepycat db VS MySQL or postgres

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 02:05:26 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Jim Pazarena <fquest at paz.bz> wrote:

> I have a rather extensive series of databases created and in use all
> with the very old sleepycat db3. I believe in the addage "don't fix
> what ain't broken", but in the case of db3, it IS broken and my db
> files get corrupted on occasion.
>
> I could move to db5 or db6 OR MySQL, or even postgres.
>
> I use simple primary key files, most entries are added from a CLI
> or termcap/curses screen. Some programatically. With about the same
> number of sequential dumps vs indexed random reads.
>
> I have no experience with the c interface for postgres or mysql, but
> also, do not know how much the c interface has changed for sleepycat
> 5/6 compared to the c interface for db3, which I understand quite well.
> So I am prepared for a learning curve irrespective of which platform
> I select. Records do not exceed much more than 10-20,000, with key sizes
> not much wider than 16 bytes (ipv4), 13 (mac), 32 (ipv6). And various
> smaller key sizes.
>
> Suggestions would be very much appreciated.
> --
> Jim Pazarena         fquest at paz.bz

The following page may be useful :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_relational_database_management_systems

MySQL is dropped from some Linux distributions due to its restrictions and
replaced by MariaDB :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MariaDB

Dropping of MySQL is continuing among Linux distributions for new releases .

The PostgreSQL would be best choice :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostgreSQL

I am not using any one of them , but my PhD ( in 1996 ) subject is
"A Multimedia Information Management System" .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanlituk