Booting Problem

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Wed Jan 30 20:12:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013, Doug Hardie wrote:

> On 30 January 2013, at 05:16, Fbsd8 wrote:
>
>> Doug Hardie wrote:

>>> Not so far.  The drive works fine on other systems.
>>>

>> You said in your orginal post "The bios will not boot from USB stick."
>> I see no reason why you would think your PC would BOOT from any USB attached devices.
>>
>> Since you have another PC that does boot off of usb cd drive, swap hard
>> drives and use that pc to load FreeBSD to the hard drive. This method will
>> work for you.
>
> Yes that works now.  But starting this weekend it will be about 100 miles
> away.  That no longer will be practical.

The CD will not be of much help then either. The problem started with the root
partition being too small. Just repartition to make sure that does not come up
for a while. While you have you hands of the machine you should see if you can
figure out if it can do a pixe boot. You should also see if you can arrange for
a serial console into the system.