Booting Problem

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Wed Jan 30 08:48:39 UTC 2013

On 29 January 2013, at 20:25, doug at safeport.com wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013, Doug Hardie wrote:
>
>> On 29 January 2013, at 07:18, Mario Lobo wrote:

> What is the system you are using? What external devices does it have built-in support for? In the absence of any data - how about trying an external hard drive?

9.1 release - Generic.  Basically the disk1.  Don't have an extra external drive.

> Why not remove the hard drive, use another system to put FreeBSD on the drive, and put it back. From that point on you should be able to use the network to upgrade.

I have done that before and it does work.  However,  with the various changes to the system, the root partition I had previously built that way for 8.2 is just not large enough for 9.1.  Also, I wanted to go to a single partition (the 9.1 default).  Probably freebsd-update will take me through major releases after this, but I was hoping for a better solution so I could avoid having to transport the machine a long way twice to be able to update it.