Software raid VS hardware raid

Modulok modulok at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 08:18:54 UTC 2013

> My other concern is what happens when one drive goes down if we use
> gmirror? Is it completelly transparent
> and bad drive can be hot swapped while server is running and rebuild
> started?
> I am thinking now about gpt+gmirror (including boot and swap)
>
> Artem

Yes. In fact, you can test this by unplugging the data or power cable to a
drive while the server is running. I've done this with consumer sata drives
and, so far, not had a problem. The server stays up and running and disk access
is not interrupted. I can then plug in a new disk and add it to the gmirror and
the array rebuilds.

I've not tried this with gpt, so I can't comment there.
-Modulok-