Detail in section 25.2.3.3 of the Handbook

Alejandro Imass aimass at yabarana.com
Tue Jan 29 23:35:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 6:25 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013, Alejandro Imass wrote:
>
>> Maybe it's intentional but in section
>>
>> 25.2.3.3 Rebuilding Ports After a Major Version Upgrade
>>
>> The step that says:
>>
>> portupgrade -f ruby18-bdb
>>
>> Shouldn't it be ruby-bdb without the 18?
>>
>> Is there a reason why it has to be ruby18-bdb
>

> That's a good point.  It should probably be the origin, databases/ruby-bdb.
> I don't have a way to test that right now.
>
> But really, it ought to be rewritten to use ports-mgmt/portmaster to remove
> the dependency issue entirely.  In fact, that could just refer to the
> upgrade process at the end of the portmaster(8) man page.

I had *a lot* of issues with this procedure using portupgrade. I
assumed it was because the system was very old and I was upgrading
from 7.0 to 9.1, although I tried in every step to upgrade the ports
and failed (i.e. 7.1, 8.1, 8.2, 9.1).

I wound up pkg_delete -a -f . I was going to re-install everything in
Jails anyway so I was happy to delete all ports from the base sys.

I can say however that the upgrade from 7.0-RELEASE to 9.1-RELEASE
went very smoothly with freebsd-update, but as I mentioned above, I
did it in steps.

Thanks for your prompt reply!

--
Alejandro Imass