How to fix a broken owner for files from world & build from ports?

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 29 12:43:49 UTC 2013

Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 12:44:55 +0100, Erich Dollansky
> <erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com> wrote:
>> It cannot get worse. His experience will show also others how robust
>> FreeBSD is in case of failures.
>
> Indeed. Linux users ask me why I play with FreeBSD. I already could make a
> list with drawbacks and advantages of both OS. Some of my guesses might be
> wrong, since I'm a FreeBSD novice, so this list wouldn't be absolutely
> correct.

>From what I've followed since you've come on the list my impression is you
are just experiencing a learning curve with a new OS. There may be many
similarities and much carry over from other *Nixes but you still have to
work it to learn it. In the past when I've headed into something completely
new I mess a lot of things up (foot shooting) for a while. Once it gets past
a certain point I give up and reinstall. Then I refer to all the notes I
took whilst messing things up so as to not make the same mistakes again.
Usually it was a new list and the cycle repeats. Eventually things 'click',
you stop making mistakes as well as understand the OS enough now to fix
things should they need.

After this sysadmin break-in period clears things get much better very fast.
You are well on your way. I've been using FreeBSD for 12 years now, but I
remember my initial learning curve (it was quite ugly there for a while).
But now things are easy, the machines are very stable and reliable. If I
don't break them and no hardware fails they just sit there and do their
thing. Stick with it for a while and I bet you find your way.

[snip]

-Mike