How to fix a broken owner for files from world & build from ports?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jan 29 11:23:39 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-29 at 10:08 +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> This is a mayor damage and can only be repaired by a new installation.

Perhaps true, but if such a simple mistake can't be fixed, what happens
when somebody makes a big mistake? Perhaps more people stay with Linux
than other *NIX, regarding to the policy, that issues should be fixed
instead of always starting from the beginning. ;)?

Of course, if I simply would restore from a dump, it will be less time
consuming and it wouldn't annoy you, but I would have the bad feeling,
that if ever needed, thinks can't be fixed, I always would have to
restore from backups. And what happens, if for what reason ever a backup
shouldn't be available?

2 Cents,
Ralf