How to fix a broken owner for files from world & build from ports?

Joshua Isom jrisom at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 03:04:31 UTC 2013

On 1/28/2013 8:54 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 03:41:34 +0100, Joshua Isom <jrisom at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 1/28/2013 7:56 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>> Still not perfect, I guess I need something similar to ls -RAl for some
>>> directories :S and I didn't test what awk will do with names including a
>>> space.
>>
>> Try `find /dir -ls`.  You can pipe it into sed like this `find /dir
>> -ls| sed -e 's%/dir%%g'` and then get something easily comparable.
>
> Cool, it does display the path, but there's still the other issue:
>
> $ touch test\ test
> $ find * -ls| sed -e 's%/dir%%g'| awk '{print $5" "$11}'
> rocketmouse test
>
> Perhaps awk isn't that important, but it e.g. will filter different file
> sizes, for e.g. configurations I edited in the meantime.
>
> :(

You're basically getting down to the dirty tedious parts.  Unless you
know a full featured scripting language with a find library to find and
compare ownership, or you want a custom c program for a rare occurrence,
you're just going to have to do it the tedious way.  Computer's aren't
always fun and glory.  For every beautiful network, someone had to run
the wires into the wall, through the dirt, and to the other building.