Usage of "restore"

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Mon Jan 28 16:28:14 UTC 2013

On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:54:29 +0100, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> The answer is in "man restore". :-)

No it isn't ;). I did read it.

This was a Wald'n'Bäume situation. Even if I would have add a .bz2, I
would have missed it, since on Linux I .tar.bz backups and it's more
automated to extract a .tar.foo. However, I should add .bz2 in the future.

> Ern... two things: Do you _really_ have /bin/bash on FreeBSD?
> I know this is possible.
>
> And do you use any bash-specific features in your script? If
> not, why not use /bin/sh, the "universally" accepted standard? :-)

No /bin/bash,

# ls /usr/local/bin/bash
/usr/local/bin/bash

I run "bash file" instead of "sh file", IIRC I already had an issue when
writing a script and running "sh file".

I use it, since I use it on Linux too, another shell might cause issues,
if I continue writing this script or if I should write another script.
Btw. I was an Assembler coder in the 80s and don't have much knowledge how
to write shell scripts, if I need something I search for it. I'm using
*NIX as OS for audio productions and for the Internet, I'm not interested
in programming anymore, I only do what's needed, *NIX OS are a tool for
me. Philosophy about POSIX isn't a religion for me.

I thought /bin/sh is a link to another shell.

Regards,
Ralf