Cronjob Cvsup -> What?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sun Jan 27 04:34:34 UTC 2013

"W. D." <WD at US-Webmasters.com> writes:

> According to:
>
>   http://www.freebsd.org/news/2012-compromise.html
>
> Cvsup is deprecated.  If I have a Cron entry like:
>
> #-----------------------------------------------------------------
> #Min   Hr    DOM   Mnth  DOW   Command
>
> #   At 3:46 in the morning, everyday, as root, update the ports tree:
> 46     3     *     *     *     /usr/local/bin/cvsup   -h   cvsup12.FreeBSD.org  /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
> #-----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> What should I use: freebsd-update, Subversion, portsnap, or what?
>
> What would be the best Cron command to keep ports updated on a daily
> basis?

portsnap is almost certainly the best answer for you.

freebsd-update is for the base system, not ports.

If you needed version control features on your ports tree (especially if
you were regularly contributing changes to ports), getting and updating
your tree through subversion would have some extra features you might
want, but it doesn't sound as if that is the case for you.

Unless you have a specific reason why portsnap doesn't fit your use
case, it's definitely the way to go for just keeping a ports tree
updated regularly.