Mount Logical (ext2fs) Partitions?

Walter Hurry walterhurry at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 12:02:06 UTC 2013

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 21:07:59 -0800, Carl Johnson wrote:

> There is a package called 'linuxfdisk' that is just a FreeBSD
> implementation of the linux fdisk and will show you what the FreeBSD
> partitions/slices are.  You can also use gpart in the base system to get
> the same information.  The command 'gpart list ada0' will show the
> primary partitions, and the command 'gpart list ada0s4' should show the
> logical partitions inside of the extended partition.  You can also use
> 'file -s' and possibly do read-only mounts to see exactly what they
> contain.  The names will probably map out like linux, but the 'sda*'
> will be changed to 'ada0s*'.

Thanks for the pointers. Here is the relevant part of the output from
'gpart list ada0s4':

4. Name: ada0s8
   Mediasize: 41943040000 (39G)
   Sectorsize: 512
   Stripesize: 0
   Stripeoffset: 162529280
   Mode: r0w0e0
   rawtype: 131
   length: 41943040000
   offset: 46143188992
   type: linux-data
   index: 1430498
   end: 172043415
   start: 90121368

So I put into my /etc/fstab:

/dev/ada0s8     /u01                    ext2fs          ro,noauto 0    0

But when I issue 'sudo mount /u01' I get:

mount: /dev/ada0s8: Invalid argument

What am I doing wrong?