Sharing a mail folder between Linux and FreeBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Jan 26 09:22:28 UTC 2013

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 10:01:18 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-01-26 at 08:48 +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 16:15:28 -0600, Joshua Isom wrote:
> > > As for the listings in /usr/local
> > > they'll need fixed.  On my system, almost everything's owned by root.
> >
> > There are a few exceptions when files are owned by a daemon.
> > As I said, re-installing those parts (or even world) should
> > fix this, but maybe it's possible to apply some "mtree magic"
> > to fix the owner to the proper one (root in most cases).
>
> Rebuilding world only shouldn't take that long.

If you still have the /usr/obj subtree where you installed
world from last time, you only need to "make installworld"
(as explained in /usr/src/Makefile's comment header).

There has also been a very good advice on how to use mtree
to do this (as the files don't need re-installation per se,
because they haven't changed).

> > > The man directories are owned by man, and
> > > /usr/local/libexec/polkit-set-default-helper is set as polkit:polkit.
> >
> > That's a good example for the non-root exceptions; there might
> > be others.
>
> There are others on my system, so I can't simply run chown -R :(.

That's correct. If you can spot those "irregularities" in
/usr/local, it seems to be the safest way to re-install
the ports those files belong to.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany