lagg problems (or lack of understanding?)

markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Fri Jan 25 23:55:47 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'd like to use both ethernet and wlan, whichever is available, with
my laptop. In many cases I prefer wlan at home as I'm not tethered and
performance is good enough. However, in some cases I prefer to connect
to a switch via ethernet to have faster connection to a desktop PC.

I followed these instructions:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-aggregation.html

Specifically, I use the rc.conf entries mentioned in the box at the
very bottom on the page, except that my ethernet interface is re0
instead of bge0. The lagg module is loaded during boot using an
appropriate entry in /boot/loader.conf.

Things almost work:

boot with ethernet plugged in, ethernet still in: connected via ethernet
boot with ethernet plugged in, ethernet out: connected via wlan
boot with ethernet unplugged, ethernet still out: connected via wlan
boot with ethernet unplugged, ethernet in: no connection

What bothers me is the last scenario: this would force me to boot with
ethernet plugged in whenever I intend to use ethernet in the same
session.  Is this expected behaviour? Is there a way to fix this?

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka