Best approach to jails + zfs

Steve O'Hara-Smith ateve at sohara.org
Fri Jan 25 19:09:14 UTC 2013

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 19:14:45 +0100
bsd <bsd at todoo.biz> wrote:

> Le 25 janv. 2013 à 18:41, Steve O'Hara-Smith a écrit :
>
> > On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 18:25:06 +0100
> > bsd <bsd at todoo.biz> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I wanted to have the point of view of the community on the best
> >> approach in order to handle a quite large system with couple of jails
> >> (shouldn't have more than 5 to 10). Whole system is based on zfs. I'll
> >> use this as a backup server.
> >
> > 	You might like the sysutils/ezjail port - I use it for a very
> > similar purpose and find it works well.
> >
> > --
> > Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>
>

> I am a bit skeptical on the third party script approach.
>
> How stable has It been ?

	Rock solid - for me YMMV of course. The underpinnings are quite
straightforward so it should be easy to fix anything that does go astray.

> ZFS has introduced a new challenge, but now that I have understood (more
> or less) how It is working, I found It really great! Just trying to
> figure out the best way to use both Jail + ZFS.
>
> But I might re-consider my position… Does ezjail comply with the latest
> FreeBSD 9 / 9.1 advances in jail / ZFS management improvement ?

	I'm using it on a 9,1 box to admin a bunch of 9.1 jails. It doesn't
require ZFS but it can use it (along with a variety of other storage
options). It uses standard ZFS commands to do it's work with ZFS.

	It's just a shell script program (albeit a 1500 line one), I might
have written a simpler, cruder one myself had it not existed and worked.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve at sohara.org>