Sharing a mail folder between Linux and FreeBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jan 25 07:40:19 UTC 2013

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 08:32:55 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-01-25 at 08:03 +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> > UIDs and GIDs should match here. All files belonging to rocketmouse
> > should be 1000:1000 _and_ the name "rocketmouse" should be
> > associated to those numerical values (see files mentioned
> > above).
>
> Yes, but because I missed to update the database X login asked for 1001.

Correct - several programs query that database instead of
the plain text files.

> > But pwd.db and spwd.db (the password databases with encrypted
> > content) don't reflect those informations!
>
> So '# /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb -d/etc /etc/master.passwd' is ok, regarding
> to ...

Yes, use that command.

> > "man pwd_mkdb" and rebuild
> > the databases.
>
> -c and -u switches could be used too, but aren't needed, since the
> entries are correct.

It's not needed to make things that complicated (to selectively
deal with entries, for example). The simple thing of

	# cd /etc
	# pkd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd

should do the trick here.

> > If you would have used the "vipw" command to make the change
> > to the passwd (plain text) files, it would have called pwd_mkdb
> > after the change. But don't worry: Knowing those "low level hacks"
> > can be helpful in some worst-case scenario. :-)
>
> And then I don't need to use vi, if the default text editor still should
> be vi.

The $EDITOR variable will be honored, and as long as the program
is available (and the terminal capabilities apply), it will work
as expected. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany