Sharing a mail folder between Linux and FreeBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jan 25 07:36:57 UTC 2013

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 07:51:30 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Thank you Kevin, thank you Erich,
>
> On Thu, 2013-01-24 at 21:10 -0500, kpneal at pobox.com wrote:
> > The correct way to edit the password file is with the "vipw"
> > command. When you are done with your changes it rewrites the password
> > file AND rebuilds the password database.
> >
> > I'm guessing you have a stale password database now. Use 'vipw' to
> > make a trivial change and then save and exit out.
>
> Ok, I used mcedit to make the changes before and will try vipw now,
> resp. ...

That won't make any difference. :-)

If your $EDITOR points to mcedit, _that_ editor will be used;
afterwards pwd_mkdb will be called and the binary database
files will be updated - and your changes will be fine.

> On Fri, 2013-01-25 at 10:06 +0700, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > did you run something like?
> >
> > /usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb -d/etc /etc/master.passwd
>
> No, I didn't. I assume this is what vipw will do, so I can run this
> instead of using vipw?

Yes, because vipw can be seen as a chain "editor -> validate ->
update database", involving the "lower level" programs that you
can call yourself any time. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany