sh script ?

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Thu Jan 24 18:56:56 UTC 2013

> From owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org  Thu Jan 24 12:11:42 2013
> Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 13:07:40 -0500
> From: Fbsd8 <fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com>
> To: FreeBSD questions <questions at freebsd.org>
> Subject: sh script ?
>
> I get this message [: 10.0.10.21: bad number on this code
>
>     [ "${saved_ip}" -eq "${used_ip}" ] && echo "good match"
>
> Both variables have valid ip addresses in them.
> Why does it think the variable content is a number and not text?

Why??  BECAUSE YOU TOld IT TO.

RTFM applies.  Specifically 'man test'.

You need to either read some books on BASIC shell programming or
take a course or two on that subject.

This may sound harsh, but you will save yourself a -lot- of future
aggravation with some structured education.  It will also assist
you in getting maximum value from the manpages.

Programming _is_ an art-form.  You have to train yourself to think
the way the machine does.  When it complains about 'something', it
is *AlMOST*ALWAYS* correct, and something you -think- is correct
is actually wrong.  the hard thing to learn in troubleshooting
problems is to set aside what you "know" is correct, and look for
anything that could possibly cause the complaint.  Remember, you're
looking for something "impossible".  <grin>