Crontabbing a Ruby script inside a screen

Dwayne Henderson its.code.in.here at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 11:27:11 UTC 2013

Hi, I run this Ruby + Sequel script inside a screen that records data from
this live stream 24/7. But it tends to core dump every once in a while, and
since I run it in a screen (so it's easy to check in on), I can't really
scroll up to catch the error whenever it happens.

So how do I crontab the screen with the Ruby script inside it? Has to be
with a "don't run it if it's already running" check to avoid fatal
consequences. So far I have:

$ crontab -e

*/10 * * * * lockf -t 0 /home/anonymous/.myscript.rb.lock
/usr/local/bin/screen -d -m -S myscript
/home/anonymous/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p0/bin/ruby
/home/anonymous/myscript.rb

Thank you!

--Dwayne