problem with espeak

AN andy at neu.net
Thu Jan 24 05:57:50 UTC 2013

Is anyone successfully using espeak?  I have the following installed:

espeak-1.46.02_1               A software speech synthesizer
/usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/libespeak.so.1.1.46
/usr/local/lib/libespeak.a
/usr/local/lib/libespeak.so
/usr/local/lib/libespeak.so.1
/usr/local/lib/libespeak.so.1.1.46
ls -l /usr/local/share/espeak
total 4
drwxr-xr-x  6 root  wheel  1024 Dec 11 22:17 espeak-data

# mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to  62:62
Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer speaker  is currently set to  74:74
Mixer line     is currently set to  50:50
Mixer mic      is currently set to  67:67
Mixer mix      is currently set to  74:74
Mixer rec      is currently set to  35:35
Mixer igain    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer ogain    is currently set to 100:100
Recording source: mic

All sound is working normally, however when I try espeak "This is a test"
nothing is heard.  Thanks in advance for any help.