'svn-export' incrementing?

Greg Larkin glarkin at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 23 20:46:00 UTC 2013

On 1/22/13 8:29 PM, Peter Vereshagin wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I use the 'svn-export this way and expect it will try to update
> the 'work-tree' next time I run it:
>
> $ python3 svn-export-2013.1/svn-export
> http://svn.gna.org/svn/nasmail/trunk nasmail Exporting new
> repository. Exported revision 1546 [portato at screwed /tmp]$ ls -a
> nasmail .               decode          plugin_pack     tests
> utilities ..              nasmail         plugins
> translations [portato at screwed /tmp]$ python3
> svn-export-2013.1/svn-export http://svn.gna.org/svn/nasmail/trunk
> nasmail Exporting new repository. svn: E155000: Destination
> directory exists; please remove the directory or use --force to
> overwrite svn: E155000: 'nasmail' already exists error: Command
> '['svn', 'export', '-r', 'HEAD',
> 'http://svn.gna.org/svn/nasmail/trunk', 'nasmail']' returned
> non-zero exit status 1
>
> I believe there is something wrong in the way I use the
> 'svn-export'. Otherwise it's a no problem for me to patch for
> '--force'.
>
> How can I update the already created 'work tree' with 'svn update'?
> I think the correct answer is a good idea for 'Synopsis' docs
> section.

Hi Peter,

In order for svn-export to work in incremental mode, you need to use
the --revision-file argument like so:

python3 svn-export-2013.1/svn-export -r rev.dat
http://svn.gna.org/svn/nasmail/trunk nasmail

Then at some point in the future, run the same command.  svn-export
will read rev.dat, compare the version in there with the current HEAD
revision.  If they are different, the script creates a diff and
applies it to the local directory.

Hope that helps,
Greg
- --