Sharing a mail folder between Linux and FreeBSD

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Tue Jan 22 13:13:14 UTC 2013

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 11:16:42 +0100, Joshua Isom <jrisom at gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks like to me you're asking for long term trouble.  You're using
> multiple versions, so in the future there could be changes that could
> corrupt your mail.  Why not just use an IMAP server instead?  It's what
> I do, so my mail's shared between FreeBSD, Windows, and Android.

I'm doing it for a long time and I only link to the mail directory. I
experienced IMAP as a PITA, not only that there would be the need to set
up IMAP for each install, I only have one computer, it did cause
incompatibilities, not seldom thousands of mails get fetched several
times. Sync can cause tons of issues.

Keeping mails on the servers of the two providers I'm using (Alice and
Rocketmail) is no option. I will fetch emails and delete them on their
servers.

The only issue with sharing the GNOME email folder is, that GNOME 3 is a
broken DE and Evolution 3.6 is buggy, but this also is an issue, if I
don't share the email folder. Unfortunately the mail dir format can't be
shared with other mail dir MUAs.

YMMV!

Regards,
Ralf