Upgrading 8.2 to 9.1, Gnome issue

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Jan 22 13:09:51 UTC 2013

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 13:59:44 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 11:22:04 +0100, Hrisikesh sahu
> <hrisikeshsahu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > #portupgrade gnome2
>
> Is there a future for GNOME 2 on FreeBSD?

I assume -- on the _long_ run -- Gnome 2 will be dead,
just as Gnome 1, KDE 1 and 2, and XFCE (capitals, so
it "obviously" means version 3). MATE and Cinnamon
are still maintained, and if there will be FreeBSD
ports, they will probably work for some time, until
eventually the required support libraries at certain
levels of abstraction will not work (or even build)
anymore, or when security concerns grow enough to
abolish the port. Infrastructures are moving on, and
backwards compatibility isn't the biggest strength
of desktop environments. :-(

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany