Sharing a mail folder between Linux and FreeBSD

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Tue Jan 22 01:31:15 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-22 at 08:18 +0700, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > I guess it would be possible to change the id for the existing FreeBSD
> > user and then to chown /home/user_name to fit to 1000?
>
> Of course, this would work. But then all existing files of the existing
> FreeBSD would be without owner.

The current user is: rocketmouse
The uid is         : 1001

Isn't it possible to change the uid to 1000?
This would cause that the owner wouldn't be rocketmouse anymore, but
still 1001. I then could run chown -R for /home/rocketmouse to switch
from 1001 to back to rocketmouse = new uid 1000.

Or another idea would be to create a new user with the uid 1000 and then
to add rocketmouse to the group of this user. I guess this is what you
already recommended.

Regards,
Ralf