OSS and ALSA

Andriy Gapon avg at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 21 16:01:19 UTC 2013

on 21/01/2013 16:18 Andriy Gapon said the following:
> Are you sure?  And are you speaking about the latest version - 3.3.3 ?
>
> In that version, if neither ALSA nor OSS4 is selected then the only output
> possible is FileWriter.  BTW, OSS4 is "On" by default, which is annoying - why do
> I have install some external kernel code if we already have quite good audio code.
>
> It seems that audacious has lost support for "normal OSS" and became useless to
> me.  Maybe "SDL Output" plugin/option could help, I need to try that.

Yes, SDL Output works fine.  I think that this should be the default for the
following reasons:
- unlike OSS4 it doesn't require an additional external kernel driver
- unlike PulseAudio it doesn't require any daemon (and possibly extra configuration)
- unlike ALSA OSS plugin, SDL code is sane in its usage of OSS API

--
Andriy Gapon